Crunchy Brown Rice Crust Chicken Pot Pie
Submitted by Barb Adzima
This is a delicious alternative to traditional chicken pot pie. The Parmesan melts into the rice to create a tasty crust, but omit the cheese, if you like.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound sliced button mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme, divided
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or brown and wild rice blend
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie dish with oil; set aside
Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, carrots, celery, onions, salt and pepper and cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add broth and milk, stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until very thick, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine rice, cheese, paprika, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
Stir peas into chicken mixture then season with salt and pepper and transfer to prepared dish. Scatter rice mixture evenly over the top then arrange dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake until bubbly and crust is crisp, about 30 minutes.
how it all began
Order from our Online Store....