Crunchy Brown Rice Crust Chicken Pot Pie
Submitted by Barb Adzima
This is a delicious alternative to traditional chicken pot pie. The Parmesan melts into the rice to create a tasty crust, but omit the cheese, if you like.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 pound sliced button mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme, divided
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or brown and wild rice blend
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie dish with oil; set aside
Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, carrots, celery, onions, salt and pepper and cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add broth and milk, stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until very thick, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine rice, cheese, paprika, remaining 1 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
Stir peas into chicken mixture then season with salt and pepper and transfer to prepared dish. Scatter rice mixture evenly over the top then arrange dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake until bubbly and crust is crisp, about 30 minutes.
how it all began
tips from the pros
Find Us on Facebook
Recent Blog Posts...